Who's learning Python?

Quantum

Founder of Emerging.Technology
Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
From speaking with everyone, quite a few guys seem to be coming from a non-programmer background and aiming to learn Python to start being able to build some bots. If you're learning Python at the moment, we'll use this thread to connect you guys together so that you can bounce questions off each other and off anyone else that can give some advice.

Picking up Python's going to be a lot easier for you guys if it's done semi-collaboratively, so use this thread to start reaching out to other guys learning and I'll try to add some good learning resources here as well. * cough * project euler

Cheers Guys

Reactions: KevinHD

ntshsnow

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
Hey everyone, I'm Saf. I do econs, stats and math and currently in uni.
Don't know much programming apart from really procedural R that I use for stats. Been trying to learn Python on Solo Learn, a nice place to get started as they split it into modules each with a comments section where everyone tries to help out anyone that's confused as well. I also help my university's trading and investments society where I got introduced to Quantopian from the people in the trading team.
Don't know if any of you guys use those resources?
Anyway, real cool to meet everyone and excited to help each other out. Definitely agree that doing this semi-collaboratively will be more meaningful.

Reactions: Quantum

Paolof89

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
I use python in my day job in the last 3 years, I'll watching this thread to help the learners in case of specific questions

cryptojesus

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
a word of advice on pandas, numpy and other data manipulation frameworks: if you're just starting with Python, I would recommend avoiding the frameworks and writing your loops from scratch. Do it once, then learn the frameworks and never do it again. This way you'll have a better appreciation of what they do for you

satō

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
Hey guys, just wanted to share my two satoshis on what helped me learn python rather quickly (improving and mastering takes a lifetime):
  1. For “semantics” (learning how to read the language and apply its basics) I used the SoloLearn app, Python course - great course to follow along in mobile. Comment section is great to clear some doubts and you also have a challenge mode where you go against other users and answer some python questions in a gamified way. DataCamp (app and desktop) also have some great resources for beginners in the data manipulation area of things
  2. For getting the hands dirty - Sentdex YouTube channel has a lot of great quality materials - I would go through several tutorials and rewriting the code myself and fiddling with some parameters.
Learning semantics by day (substituting my time in social media apps and other mind numbing activities for bite sized lessons on the app) and engaging into tutorials by night was a sure way of getting to learn the language rather quick.

But I think the main reason that kept me going was that i had an objective for learning it, I had a project I wanted to create and I think that is the most important catalyst for this and one of my main tips for anyone that is starting to learn.

It can be a bit daunting learning something on your own, and thinking about giving up isn’t that uncommon; it’s really those times when you need something to hold on and keep the grind,

I’ll keep my eyes on this post to see if I can help anyone (and be helped maybe)

Cheers

Quantum

Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
Hey guys, just wanted to share my two satoshis on what helped me learn python rather quickly (improving and mastering takes a lifetime):
  1. For “semantics” (learning how to read the language and apply its basics) I used the SoloLearn app, Python course - great course to follow along in mobile. Comment section is great to clear some doubts and you also have a challenge mode where you go against other users and answer some python questions in a gamified way. DataCamp (app and desktop) also have some great resources for beginners in the data manipulation area of things
  2. For getting the hands dirty - Sentdex YouTube channel has a lot of great quality materials - I would go through several tutorials and rewriting the code myself and fiddling with some parameters.
Learning semantics by day (substituting my time in social media apps and other mind numbing activities for bite sized lessons on the app) and engaging into tutorials by night was a sure way of getting to learn the language rather quick.

But I think the main reason that kept me going was that i had an objective for learning it, I had a project I wanted to create and I think that is the most important catalyst for this and one of my main tips for anyone that is starting to learn.

It can be a bit daunting learning something on your own, and thinking about giving up isn’t that uncommon; it’s really those times when you need something to hold on and keep the grind,

I’ll keep my eyes on this post to see if I can help anyone (and be helped maybe)

Cheers
Solid advice - Sentdex especially is such a good resource for learning practical bit-sized chunks of Python at a time. Thanks for adding this here @satō

Quantum

Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX

Cheers
Sentdex is a great resource for learning @satō - particularly that he provides tutorials on cryptocurrency and blockchain dev, but also areas like deep learning and bot building as well. nice recommendation

ajit.j

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
Anyone can learn Python because it is a general-purpose, dynamic, high level, and interpreted programming language. It supports Object Oriented programming approach to develop mobile applications.

It is simple and easy to learn and provides lots of high-level data structures.

Last edited:

Baby Lion

Affiliate Member
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
As far as I know, Python is one of the best programming language and mastering on Python might have an ability to create applications for blockchain.

Quantum

Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
Sure @Baby Lion I can definitely say that my feeling is that if you had to pick a language and say it was the "best" it would be Python.. at least for things relating to data like crypto bots, and things like artificial intelligence/deep learning.

It's also very easy to learn compared to languages like javascript or C++, because it is a loosely-typed language.. ie. in Python I would create a variable like:
Python:
name = "Quantum"
Where for a strongly-typed language like C++ I would have to do this:
C++:
string name = "Quantum";
It's only a small change here in this example, but when you're trying to learn a new language and getting into more complicated concepts this makes a big difference in how difficult it is to learn.

Reactions: Baby Lion

KevinHD

Newcomer
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
It's only a small change here in this example, but when you're trying to learn a new language and getting into more complicated concepts this makes a big difference in how difficult it is to learn.
To be honest I've also tried researching and studying python recently and it was indeed a piece of cake-like programming language as it only seeks no extra terminators or requirements for coding. yet as some for beginners in here, it is better to suggest taking Java or C# first as it has much complex coding yet same syntax with Python, but a less old.

BTW, Thankyou for the links! Hope we could get along in here!

Quantum

Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
If you look at it from another point of view then starting with a more complex language like Java or C# will mean that learning something like Python later will be much easier as well.

I'm sure you'll do well here @KevinHD!

Reactions: KevinHD

PiroSense

Sentry
Staff member
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
It's also very easy to learn compared to languages like javascript or C++, because it is a loosely-typed language
I have heard that Python is one of the most used languages in the industry, and I have no doubts in that. However, it seems like a struggle to me when it comes to loosely-typed languages. JavaScript, for example, relies on declaring variables as "var" instead of defining its type. It's definitely easier to type, but for me, it quite makes the whole code ambiguous (though that's just me, I just need more practice).

Quantum

Staff member
Admin
Posts/Comments
Received Likes
ETX
I have heard that Python is one of the most used languages in the industry, and I have no doubts in that. However, it seems like a struggle to me when it comes to loosely-typed languages. JavaScript, for example, relies on declaring variables as "var" instead of defining its type. It's definitely easier to type, but for me, it quite makes the whole code ambiguous (though that's just me, I just need more practice).
Yeah I get what you mean, and when you learn one style other styles will always feel strange. I learnt Python first and so declaring the variable type before each one feels weird for me.

To be honest I think that Python is probably the easiest language for building crypto bots, but that C++ is really the language that should be used by anyone that's serious because of the performance benefits that make a huge difference when you're talking about things like high-frequency trading and comparing differences in milliseconds.

Reactions: PiroSense